Here is a teaser for me 
Author Message
 Here is a teaser for me

How do you make a cell turn yellow if the amount of characters ( not
numbers ) in the cell = 8
and blue if cell = 6

example #2813913 = color yellow
example #31967 = color blue

I have used conditional programming in the past, but only referenced numbers
or formulas, not characters.
--

Thank you,

James P. Schmidt



Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:41:03 GMT  
 Here is a teaser for me
James,

format>conditional formatting

in the formula is box put

=LEN(TRIM(A1))=8

click the format button, select patterns and colour red,
click add and formula is

=LEN(TRIM(A1))=6
click the format button, select patterns and blue,

click OK.

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

Quote:

> How do you make a cell turn yellow if the amount of characters ( not
> numbers ) in the cell = 8
> and blue if cell = 6

> example #2813913 = color yellow
> example #31967 = color blue

> I have used conditional programming in the past, but only referenced numbers
> or formulas, not characters.
> --

> Thank you,

> James P. Schmidt



Thu, 08 Jul 2004 11:59:35 GMT  
 Here is a teaser for me
You can use conditional formatting.
Use the Formual Is and use the following formula,
=LEN(A1)=8
Once you set this conditional format for a single cell, just select the
range you want to apply it to. Select Conditional Formatting again, and
click Ok.

HTH,
Brian

Quote:
> How do you make a cell turn yellow if the amount of characters ( not
> numbers ) in the cell = 8
> and blue if cell = 6

> example #2813913 = color yellow
> example #31967 = color blue

> I have used conditional programming in the past, but only referenced
numbers
> or formulas, not characters.
> --

> Thank you,

> James P. Schmidt



Thu, 08 Jul 2004 12:09:11 GMT  
 Here is a teaser for me
Can I code a condition that will change color of text in column "a" that
does not match items in column "d" To Turn Red

Conditional formatting will not work for this because if true it sets the
background color to the unwanted color, and if I select a color for this
argument, and it ends in false, then again I end up with the wrong color.

I think code is probably the route,

Any insight would be helpful

Thanks again

James Schmidt



Thu, 08 Jul 2004 13:39:10 GMT  
 Here is a teaser for me
James,
The following formula can be pasted in the conditional formatting dialog.
Select the range you want to apply it to first. Adjust the addresses to your
needs.

=ISNA(MATCH(A1,B$1:B$12,0))

The Match will return #NA error if it does not find a match, thus ISNA will
return True. And your format will be applied.

HTH,
Brian


Quote:
> Can I code a condition that will change color of text in column "a" that
> does not match items in column "d" To Turn Red

> Conditional formatting will not work for this because if true it sets the
> background color to the unwanted color, and if I select a color for this
> argument, and it ends in false, then again I end up with the wrong color.

> I think code is probably the route,

> Any insight would be helpful

> Thanks again

> James Schmidt



Fri, 09 Jul 2004 01:28:27 GMT  
 Here is a teaser for me
DSL was down , It worked Great

Thank you.


Quote:
> James,

> format>conditional formatting

> in the formula is box put

> =LEN(TRIM(A1))=8

> click the format button, select patterns and colour red,
> click add and formula is

> =LEN(TRIM(A1))=6
> click the format button, select patterns and blue,

> click OK.

> --
> Regards,

> Peo Sjoblom




- Show quoted text -

Quote:
> > How do you make a cell turn yellow if the amount of characters ( not
> > numbers ) in the cell = 8
> > and blue if cell = 6

> > example #2813913 = color yellow
> > example #31967 = color blue

> > I have used conditional programming in the past, but only referenced
numbers
> > or formulas, not characters.
> > --

> > Thank you,

> > James P. Schmidt



Sat, 10 Jul 2004 08:52:13 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

2. I am attempting to change a default setting and am lost

3. Test of Combinations--a real teaser

4. Brain teaser: Pulling a specific row from several workbooks and putting it a single workbook

5. Excel8 Object Library Teaser

6. Real coding teaser?

7. Combo box dynaset teaser!

8. Brain Teaser!

9. Date/time algorithm for holidays (brain teaser?)

10. Continuous Forms Teaser


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group