Date() returns #Name? error (sometimes) 
Author Message
 Date() returns #Name? error (sometimes)

I work with a front end - back end Access 97 database that
has been in use for four years, with frequent design
updates.  The front end database defaults a number of date
fields to today's date using the Date() expression. After
my last round of design changes, I started to have a
#Hame? error in these fields, some in forms that I haden't
made any design changes.

The problem occures on multiple workstations after they
have been in use for 5 minutes to one hour or so.  
Replacing the front end database file with it's original
copy solves the problem temporarily, as does replacing the
Date() expression with the Now() expression, but the
problem will soon reoccure.

I found that some Access versions were SR1 and others were
SR2, but upgrading all systems to SR2 did not help.

I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions.



Fri, 02 Apr 2004 20:38:09 GMT  
 Date() returns #Name? error (sometimes)
Hi ,

              My name is Michael Noto. Thank you for using the
Microsoft Access Newsgroups. The #Name? error value usually means
that the name that you typed as the source of the value in the field
is not valid. You may have misspelled the name, you may have omitted
the equal sign (=) before the expression, or the source itself may
have been deleted. But there may be another reason for what you see.

             When common functions like date, trim, left, etc stop
working, it may be a missing reference or an extra unneeded
reference.  Open any module or open a form  in design view and use
the view menu, click on code to launch Visual Basic Editor. All the
selected references are at the top of the list, look for any marked
MISSING:<reference name> and uncheck them. Check the default
references listed below and remove all other references except
Microsoft DAO 3.5x object Library. One extra reference that causes
functions to break is the Microsoft Visual Basic for Applications
Extensibility 5.3

DEFAULT REFERENCES Access 97
==========================
Visual Basic for Applications
Microsoft Access 8.0 Object Library
Microsoft DAO 3.5x Object Library

COMMON REFERENCES
===================
Microsoft Office 8.0 Object Library
For more information

Q175484 - ACC97: References That You Must Set When You Work with
Microsoft

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q175/4/84.asp

Q160870 - ACC: VBA Functions Break in Database with Missing References

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q160/8/70.asp

Q280465 - ACC97: How Access 97 Resolves VBA References

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q280/4/65.asp

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic,
please reply to this posting.

Of course, this posting wouldnt be complete without a nice, juicy
disclaimer from our lawyers:  This posting is provided AS IS with
no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your
use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Need quick answers to questions like these? The Microsoft Knowledge
Base provides a wealth of information that you can use to
troubleshoot a problem or answer a question! It's located at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/c.asp

Regards,
Michael Noto
Microsoft Support  



Fri, 02 Apr 2004 23:13:51 GMT  
 Date() returns #Name? error (sometimes)
Michael .. Thank you very much. Your comments and
referenced knowledge base documents were right on target.
My back-end database, with an incorrect path, was listed
as a missing reference. Removing this reference solved the
problem. Thanks again.
Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Hi ,

>              My name is Michael Noto. Thank you for
using the
>Microsoft Access Newsgroups. The #Name? error value
usually means
>that the name that you typed as the source of the value
in the field
>is not valid. You may have misspelled the name, you may
have omitted
>the equal sign (=) before the expression, or the source
itself may
>have been deleted. But there may be another reason for
what you see.

>             When common functions like date, trim, left,
etc stop
>working, it may be a missing reference or an extra
unneeded
>reference.  Open any module or open a form  in design
view and use
>the view menu, click on code to launch Visual Basic
Editor. All the
>selected references are at the top of the list, look for
any marked
>MISSING:<reference name> and uncheck them. Check the
default
>references listed below and remove all other references
except
>Microsoft DAO 3.5x object Library. One extra reference
that causes
>functions to break is the Microsoft Visual Basic for
Applications
>Extensibility 5.3

>DEFAULT REFERENCES Access 97
>==========================
>Visual Basic for Applications
>Microsoft Access 8.0 Object Library
>Microsoft DAO 3.5x Object Library

>COMMON REFERENCES
>===================
>Microsoft Office 8.0 Object Library
>For more information

>Q175484 - ACC97: References That You Must Set When You
Work with
>Microsoft

>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q175/4/84
.asp

>Q160870 - ACC: VBA Functions Break in Database with
Missing References

>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q160/8/70
.asp

>Q280465 - ACC97: How Access 97 Resolves VBA References

>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q280/4/65
.asp

>I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on
this topic,
>please reply to this posting.

>Of course, this posting wouldn't be complete without a
nice, juicy
>disclaimer from our lawyers:  This posting is

provided "AS IS" with

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk
for your
>use. ? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

>Need quick answers to questions like these? The Microsoft
Knowledge
>Base provides a wealth of information that you can use to
>troubleshoot a problem or answer a question! It's located
at
>http://support.microsoft.com/support/c.asp

>Regards,
>Michael Noto
>Microsoft Support  

>.



Tue, 06 Apr 2004 05:43:44 GMT  
 Date() returns #Name? error (sometimes)

Great. That usually does it when  a function breaks. Take care,
Michael



Sun, 11 Apr 2004 08:45:11 GMT  
 
 [ 4 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. date() default value returning error "name#?"

2. Date Function Returns #Name? Error in Form

3. date() error, returns name?

4. Sometimes runtime error, sometimes not

5. Date Input mask sometimes errors when changing data

6. Control using date function returns #name?

7. Date() returns "#name?"

8. Date() returns #Name?

9. Date() returning #Name? on forms

10. =Date() returns #Name?


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group