Hide email addresses from 3rd parties 
Author Message
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties

I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to field. I
sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
field.

However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
private.

How do spammers protect their identity?



Sun, 13 Feb 2005 20:26:14 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?  As a test, send a message
to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC field and see what it
looks like.

You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe Blow, Jane Doe, etc etc
etc to appear individually in the To: field.


Quote:
> I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to field. I
> sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
> suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
> field.

> However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
> private.

> How do spammers protect their identity?



Sun, 13 Feb 2005 21:19:58 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
When using the BCC field you should put something (perhaps your own email
address) in the TO field - some mail servers, if they don't see anything in
TO or CC will just dump everyone the mail is being sent to into the TO
field.  Note also that BCC is NOT a way to hide YOUR identity, only that of
the recipients.

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights



Quote:
> What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?  As a test, send a
message
> to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC field and see what it
> looks like.

> You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe Blow, Jane Doe, etc etc
> etc to appear individually in the To: field.



> > I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to field. I
> > sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
> > suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
> > field.

> > However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
> > private.

> > How do spammers protect their identity?



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:00:23 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?  As a

test, send a message
Quote:
>to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC field
and see what it
>looks like.

>You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe Blow,
Jane Doe, etc etc
>etc to appear individually in the To: field.



>> I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to
field. I
>> sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
>> suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
>> field.

>> However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
>> private.

>> How do spammers protect their identity?

>I do not think it is private because I sent it to one

email account of mine to another. In the reciving account,
it showed my name and email address. The email address was
in brackets.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>.



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 00:57:41 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
It was originally suggested that BCC was the way to
protect multiple email addresses. I want to send an email
to multiple people. However, to protect their privacy, I
do not want the other organizations to see the email
addresses? What is my best source way of accomplishing
this?

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>When using the BCC field you should put something

(perhaps your own email
Quote:
>address) in the TO field - some mail servers, if they

don't see anything in
Quote:
>TO or CC will just dump everyone the mail is being sent
to into the TO
>field.  Note also that BCC is NOT a way to hide YOUR

identity, only that of
Quote:
>the recipients.

>--
>Jeff Stephenson
>Outlook Development
>This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
confers no rights

>"Lanwench"


wrote
Quote:

>> What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?  As a
test, send a
>message
>> to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC

field and see what it
Quote:
>> looks like.

>> You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe

Blow, Jane Doe, etc etc
Quote:
>> etc to appear individually in the To: field.



>> > I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to
field. I
>> > sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
>> > suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
>> > field.

>> > However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
>> > private.

>> > How do spammers protect their identity?

>.



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 01:03:23 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
Yes, that's what BCC does.


Quote:
> It was originally suggested that BCC was the way to
> protect multiple email addresses. I want to send an email
> to multiple people. However, to protect their privacy, I
> do not want the other organizations to see the email
> addresses? What is my best source way of accomplishing
> this?

> >-----Original Message-----
> >When using the BCC field you should put something
> (perhaps your own email
> >address) in the TO field - some mail servers, if they
> don't see anything in
> >TO or CC will just dump everyone the mail is being sent
> to into the TO
> >field.  Note also that BCC is NOT a way to hide YOUR
> identity, only that of
> >the recipients.

> >--
> >Jeff Stephenson
> >Outlook Development
> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
> confers no rights

> >"Lanwench"

> wrote

> >> What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?  As a
> test, send a
> >message
> >> to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC
> field and see what it
> >> looks like.

> >> You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe
> Blow, Jane Doe, etc etc
> >> etc to appear individually in the To: field.



> >> > I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to
> field. I
> >> > sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
> >> > suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
> >> > field.

> >> > However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
> >> > private.

> >> > How do spammers protect their identity?

> >.



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:33:05 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
What client did you send to? There was one known bug with an older version
of Outlook - but that's it as far as I know.
Quote:
> >I do not think it is private because I sent it to one
> email account of mine to another. In the reciving account,
> it showed my name and email address. The email address was
> in brackets.
> >.



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 06:33:40 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
I does not work. I tested it out from my office email
address to my home email address with my name in the BCC
field. At home it displayed my name as preferred in
preliminary test. However, when I moved the cursor over to
the name, it displayed my work email address. This was
only a test. My employer wants to send out emails to a
couple of people. However, to protect each of their
privacy, my employer also wants to hide their email

might "ONLY" see "Robin", if the email was sent to you. A
BCC email failed preliminary tests in Outlook from my
office email address to my home email address. Before
preliminary tests pass, we cannot continue. The
preliminary test should not have my email address in my
home account, just the preferred name I chose in Outlook.
Why isn't it doing this?

Quote:
>-----Original Message-----
>Yes, that's what BCC does.



>> It was originally suggested that BCC was the way to
>> protect multiple email addresses. I want to send an
email
>> to multiple people. However, to protect their privacy, I
>> do not want the other organizations to see the email
>> addresses? What is my best source way of accomplishing
>> this?

>> >-----Original Message-----
>> >When using the BCC field you should put something
>> (perhaps your own email
>> >address) in the TO field - some mail servers, if they
>> don't see anything in
>> >TO or CC will just dump everyone the mail is being sent
>> to into the TO
>> >field.  Note also that BCC is NOT a way to hide YOUR
>> identity, only that of
>> >the recipients.

>> >--
>> >Jeff Stephenson
>> >Outlook Development
>> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
and
>> confers no rights

>> >"Lanwench"


- Show quoted text -

Quote:
>> wrote

>> >> What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?  
As a
>> test, send a
>> >message
>> >> to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC
>> field and see what it
>> >> looks like.

>> >> You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe
>> Blow, Jane Doe, etc etc
>> >> etc to appear individually in the To: field.



>> >> > I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to
>> field. I
>> >> > sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
>> >> > suggested that I enter all email addresses in the
bcc
>> >> > field.

>> >> > However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
>> >> > private.

>> >> > How do spammers protect their identity?

>> >.

>.



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 08:52:02 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
What do you mean by "displayed my name as preferred" and "the preferred name
I chose in Outlook"?

Where did it display your name?  Your name _will_ be displayed in the To:
field of any message you send, and it will show your email address
(otherwise people that you send mail to will not be able to reply to the
mail - they can only reply if they have your address).  Addresses in the BCC
field, however, will not be shown - in the message you received at your
home, the home address didn't show up, did it, only your work address?

--
Jeff Stephenson
Outlook Development
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights


Quote:
> I does not work. I tested it out from my office email
> address to my home email address with my name in the BCC
> field. At home it displayed my name as preferred in
> preliminary test. However, when I moved the cursor over to
> the name, it displayed my work email address. This was
> only a test. My employer wants to send out emails to a
> couple of people. However, to protect each of their
> privacy, my employer also wants to hide their email

> might "ONLY" see "Robin", if the email was sent to you. A
> BCC email failed preliminary tests in Outlook from my
> office email address to my home email address. Before
> preliminary tests pass, we cannot continue. The
> preliminary test should not have my email address in my
> home account, just the preferred name I chose in Outlook.
> Why isn't it doing this?

> >-----Original Message-----
> >Yes, that's what BCC does.



> >> It was originally suggested that BCC was the way to
> >> protect multiple email addresses. I want to send an
> email
> >> to multiple people. However, to protect their privacy, I
> >> do not want the other organizations to see the email
> >> addresses? What is my best source way of accomplishing
> >> this?

> >> >-----Original Message-----
> >> >When using the BCC field you should put something
> >> (perhaps your own email
> >> >address) in the TO field - some mail servers, if they
> >> don't see anything in
> >> >TO or CC will just dump everyone the mail is being sent
> >> to into the TO
> >> >field.  Note also that BCC is NOT a way to hide YOUR
> >> identity, only that of
> >> >the recipients.

> >> >--
> >> >Jeff Stephenson
> >> >Outlook Development
> >> >This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties,
> and
> >> confers no rights

> >> >"Lanwench"


> >> wrote

> >> >> What makes you think the BCC field isn't private?
> As a
> >> test, send a
> >> >message
> >> >> to your hotmail account from Outlook using the BCC
> >> field and see what it
> >> >> looks like.

> >> >> You can also use a mail merge if you want only Joe
> >> Blow, Jane Doe, etc etc
> >> >> etc to appear individually in the To: field.



> >> >> > I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to
> >> field. I
> >> >> > sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
> >> >> > suggested that I enter all email addresses in the
> bcc
> >> >> > field.

> >> >> > However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
> >> >> > private.

> >> >> > How do spammers protect their identity?

> >> >.

> >.



Mon, 14 Feb 2005 10:35:46 GMT  
 Hide email addresses from 3rd parties
To hide your own email address, either send via an annomyzer or via a mail
proxy or any other application which is able to send the email without
external SMTP server. This allows you to set anything as your own email
address.

If you are a spammer, be aware that though you can create a wrong reply
address, you can not hide your IP address, in case of any illegal action
(spam in some countries is considered as illegal), it is possible to find
your identity via the IP address, which is recorded at your provider.

Thomas Quester
www.outlookfolders


Quote:
> I am trying to hide the email addresses in the to field. I
> sent a similar message a few weeks ago, and it was
> suggested that I enter all email addresses in the bcc
> field.

> However, I found out that the bcc field is not that
> private.

> How do spammers protect their identity?



Sat, 19 Feb 2005 16:58:42 GMT  
 
 [ 10 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Cant send emails via Outlook using 3rd party email

2. Email Address - Using the 2nd and 3rd Email Address Option

3. 3rd Party E-Mail Addresses not shown in e-mails

4. Existing 3rd party `97 database, altering TEXT CASE in name/address fields

5. Attaching 3rd party address book to toolbar button?

6. Using 3rd party program to send emails

7. Outlook 2002 & 3rd Party Email

8. Configuring EMail with 3rd party application

9. 3rd Party App. Freezes PC when emailing report

10. 3rd Party Programs Sending Email


 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group